Monday, May 24, 2010

The Joys of Summer

Despite classes and poor weather, I have had a great summer so far!

Last Saturday, Kate, Leah, and I went on an adventure to Salt Lake City since Kate was in town.  First of all, after a long streak (and followed by a long streak) of bad weather, we had the most perfect, beautiful, sunny, warm day in the city!  We could not have asked for better weather.  It was refreshing, and simply awesome.

First stop on our list of things to do was to hit up the Capitol.  We first went to the infamous statue discovered by Leah, and climbed up it to "kiss" the man.  Kate and I were scared of getting in trouble at first, but Leah, as it was her second time, climbed right up without thinking and did it.  She even climbed up more than once!  Although, she was the only one who fell into the water when she jumped down.  Twice.


I followed her lead and safely jumped far away from the water.  Kate did the same.  It was so exhilarating not being a goody-goody-I-don't-want-to-get-in-trouble type of person for once!  Although it was nice that our victim statue is conveniently placed on the far side of the capitol, so only people driving by could see us.


Our next step (taking pictures everywhere along the way, of course...) was to go inside the building.  It was so pretty!  It wasn't what I expected at all.  It was all marble and beautiful.  And then we were starving.

We didn't know where a good place to eat was as we don't go to SLC often, so we decided to try a place we heard about indirectly, and went for it!  This place is called Scaddy's.  We weren't sure we were in a burger / fries mood, but as soon as we went inside, we all were!  It only took one look for Leah: when she saw the biggest burger on the menu, she ordered immediately.  Kate then got a bacon-burger, and after much deliberation between a Philly-cheese steak sandwich and a bacon-burger, I chose the bacon-burger.  They just looked to good to pass up!  The bacon was crispy.  The most perfectly cooked bacon ever.  The burger was delicious, and the fries were perfect, and so hot I had to wait five minutes before I could eat them.  Go to Scaddy's!!!  It is just as good as 5 Guys and In-N-Out!


After we were stuffed to the rim, we decided to walk off the extra weight and tour Temple Square.  First we just walked around, and tried to ignore the bazillion-trillion weddings that were going on.  Perfect day for a wedding though-absolute amazing weather and temperature.  Anyways, then we went on a tour with the Sister missionaries which was cool to see everything and learn more about everything in Temple Square.
 








Then we went on the roof of the conference center to check out the garden.  I was expecting flowers, not trees and shrubberies, but it was still pretty cool!  One section made it look like you could run across a real field...and then fall off a rather tall and large building.  Don't be fooled.

To finish off a great day, on our way home we hit up Far's!  It is a great ice-cream / frozen yogurt / custard place that my roommate (who works there) told me about.  Now I can't stop going.  You have several choices of a frozen dairy item, and then you get to choose out of tons of toppings, and then weigh it and ENJOY!  It's great.

So besides SLC, this past week has been fun, as well!  On Monday of last week, Stefi came to visit me at last!  I was so glad to finally see her.  We watched some Lost, ate some popcorn, layed out for like 2 hours, watched some more Lost, went to Cafe Rio with Stephanie, then we saw Letters to Juliet!  It was so fun.  The movie was sooo incredibly cheesy, but I still liked it...if only the last 10 seconds were changed!  Seriously.  Just those 10 seconds.  Then after the movie we hooked back up with Stephanie and went to Far's.  So yummy.  I think one of my new favorite ice-creams is now Burnt Almond Fudge.  Yummm...

Then Friday I finished Season 6 (minus the grand finale) by watching it all day.  Saturday, I was planning on studying, but I thought that it might be a better idea to take a nap.  Then I went to the Temple with Anna, and then we went bowling with 3 guys from our ward and I bowled two personal bests!  108 and 106 or something.  I was excited!  I should've done better the second game if it hadn't been for all of the 9's followed by a gutter ball...I got robbed soo many times.  Oh-well!  Then we played a few games of pool, which was fun, and I'm sure amusing for everyone else to watch me fail.  When we got back we made Pazookies (YUM) and watched some old Office episodes.

So there's what's been going down over the past few weeks!  Now I just gotta work on my tan some more...

No comments:

Post a Comment